Data & Mapping
The beautiful, compelling maps we create using GIS allow us to visualize our world, see patterns and make conclusions based on scientific data.
In 1993, when GIS (Geographic Information Systems) was still new, Sonoma Ecology Center spearheaded its use in producing the first digital map of parcels in Sonoma Valley. Today, we use GIS, cartographic skills, and an extensive collection of local spatial data to produce maps that inform work in local and national restoration, stewardship, and conservation action.
National Fishery Recovery
SEC handled the data manipulations and data storage for massive federal fisheries recovery (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration plans for steelhead and salmon in the Central California Coast) in 2011 and 2012.
Sediment Pollution Control Planning
Sonoma Ecology Center was the first community organization to research and monitor for a state-recognized sediment pollution control plan (the sediment TMDL for the watershed), in 2006. Read more about our sediment research and analysis.
Examples of Our Work
- Sonoma Ecology Center’s Sonoma Valley Knowledge Base – A comprehensive library of scientific, historical, and even poetic materials about the Sonoma Valley Watershed. Explore it!
- SEC 25th Anniversary Story Map – A look at Sonoma Ecology Center’s many accomplishments over a quarter-century of working to improve ecological health in Sonoma Valley.
- Sugarloaf Story Map – Since 2011 Sonoma Ecology Center has managed Sugarloaf Ridge State Park, building trails, hosting events and keeping this cherished public park open and thriving.
- Delta Arundo Mapping – The highly invasive plant species Arundo donax was mapped throughout the Delta as part of a Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta Conservancy eradication effort.
- Watershed Health Scorecard – this scorecard uses scientific data to evaluate the health of the Sonoma Creek Watershed.
We have worked with a wide variety of clients, including university researchers, conservation nonprofits, government agencies, and private landowners. Our recent clients include: NOAA Fisheries, Golden Gate National Park, UC Davis Road Ecology Program, Marin Municipal Water District, Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District, Sonoma Land Trust, Sonoma County Water Agency, and Morro Bay National Estuary Program.
Contact us for your GIS & Mapping needs!
Data & Mapping Staff
M.A., Geography, University of California at Davis
Alex has over 15 years of experience in spatial analysis, cartography, and geo-spatial data management. He uses GIS and field mapping methodologies for environmental research to manage invasive species and stream health indicators.
Bryan has over 31 years of experience in Information Technology in program and project management roles. In addition to project work, Bryan maintains our automated continuous monitoring station on Sonoma Creek.
- Scientists and data analysts at UC Berkeley
- Point Blue Conservation Science
- Pepperwood Preserve
- Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation & Open Space District
- Sonoma Land Trust
- Sonoma County Water Agency
- Sonoma Resource Conservation District
- Regional Water Quality Control Board